Ragi is known as Finger Millet. Ragi is a whole grain and it is gluten free. This grain actually originated from Africa. It is rich in calcium and fiber, which helps with weight loss and controlling diabetes. It’s good for the skin and the presence of antioxidants helps with fighting anxiety and depression. I made this recipe with ragi flour. Either you can make the ragi flour at home from the whole grain or you can buy it from outside. Making ragi flour from direct whole grain is slightly a different and larger process. I haven’t tried that. My mom usually makes the flour in bulk and pack it for me.
If you want to make this recipe for breakfast. You might need to start the work at least 8 hours before or previous night, the batter needs to get fermented before making the dosa. Instead, having the regular dosa, this would be a nice change and healthy breakfast. It’s not that difficult. It’s a quite simple recipe.
Recipe type: Breakfast | Dinner
Cuisine: South Indian
Servings: 2 to 3 people
Prep Time: 8 hrs 20 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 8 hrs 30 mins
- Ragi flour – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Water – to make batter
- Salt – required level
- Oil – to make dosa
- Get all the ingredients ready. First soak the urad dal for minimum 30 mins. After soaking, add a bit of water and grind the urad dal and make a smooth batter out of it.
- Now take ragi flour in a mixing bowl. Add salt and urad dal batter into it. Mix everything well. Make a thick batter and store it in a bigger mixing bowl for overnight or minimum 8 hours. The batter will get fermented and the quantity of the batter would become double in the morning.
- Now add some water and make a thin batter. Do not add too much of water. Consistency of the batter is important to get a perfect crispy dosa.
- Heat the pan, pour one ladle of batter on the pan and spread it evenly and thinly.
- After a 30 secs, spread the oil on the dosa and flip it, cook on the other side.
- Once it is done, transfer to a plate.
- Serve this hot, crispy and yummy ragi dosa with tomato or coconut chutney.
Happy Cooking 🙂