Kerala Puttu Recipe | Coconut & Rice Puttu Recipe
Kerala Puttu Recipe – Steamed rice cake with coconut is referred as a rice puttu in Kerala, it’s a traditional recipe.
This soft rice puttu is very famous in Kerala. They usually serve for breakfast with Kadala (Black Chickpeas) Curry. You can also make the sweet version of puttu with sugar and banana. This recipe is quite heavy for breakfast. Usually one portion what I showed in the picture is enough for one person.
The Puttu is generally cooked in a puttu maker, there are different varieties of vessel available in the market, some are cylindrical and some are like bowl type. I used the bowl type one. To make the soft puttu, you need to be careful with the amount of rice flour and water usage while making the puttu flour.
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Water – 1/3 cup
- Salt – required level (as needed)
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Get all the ingredients ready. I used ready made puttu rice flour available in the market. Take 1 cup of flour in a mixing bowl.
- Now add salt as required for rice flour, mix well.
- Now sprinkle 1 tbsp of water at a time, mix the rice flour with your fingertips. The water ratio is very important here to get the soft puttu. While mixing the rice flour, gently press the flour, you need to hold some shape (basically like a lump) from that and need to break that on further pressing.
- Break all the small lumps using the fingertips. prepare the moist and crumbled flour ready to be steamed.
- Now, you need to fill the steamer in a layer level, First fill the base with the grated coconut, then add the crumbled rice flour on top of the coconut, use spoon and settle the corners well. If you want, you can add one more layer on top with coconut.
- If you are using the cylindrical one, fill the base with water, put the steamer on top and steam for 5 minutes.
- If you are using the bowl type, Use cooker, add some water in the cooker, close with lid and place the steamer on top of the cooker and steam for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once it is done, open it and carefully push the puttu using a needle (sharp thing) from the back.
- Serve the hot and soft puttu with kadala curry.
Happy Cooking 🙂