Ragi Semiya Recipe (Finger Millet)
Ragi is also known as Finger millet. It’s one of the important cereals in India, Karnataka is the largest producer of ragi in India. There is lots of goodness in ragi, it’s low in fat and easy to digest. It’s a great source of iron, calcium, protein and other minerals.
- Ragi is best for weight loss. Dietary fiber content is more when compared to other grains.
- Ragi is good for bones, Calcium content helps in the development or maintenance of bones.
- Ragi for Diabetics and for reducing high cholesterol levels, Amino acids in ragi helps to bring down the cholesterol levels by eliminating excess fat.
Ragi recipes are easy to make and good for health. Here is the way to prepare Ragi Semiya Upma.
- Ragi vermicelli – 150 gms
- Big Onion – 1
- Green Chilies – 2 to 3 (as per your spicy level)
- Carrot – 1 medium-sized (grated)
- Green Peas – required level (optional)
- Cashews – 4 to 5 nos.
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbsps.
- Mustard seeds and urad dal
- Curry and Coriander leaves.
Take a bowl of plain water and add ragi vermicelli into it. After two mins, filter out the ragi in a separate container. Either steam the Ragi in the cooker for 5 mins or oven it for 3 mins. Once it becomes soft, keep it separately.
In a wide pan, add oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, and cashew nuts. Saute for a min.
Once it is sauteed well. Add sliced onion and saute on the medium flame.
Once the onion gets cooked, add salt as per the taste level, green chilies, grated carrot, green peas, curry leaves and fry all together.
After 2 mins, add steamed vermicelli into that and mix well. After 5 mins, add coriander leaves and turn off the burner.
Yummy and healthy Ragi semiya is ready to serve.
Happy Cooking 🙂