Ragi (Finger Millet) Semiya

Ragi is also known as Finger millet. It’s one of the important cereals in India, Karnataka is the largest producer of ragi in India. There is lots of goodness in ragi, it’s low in fat and easy to digest. It’s a great source of iron, calcium, protein and other minerals.

• Ragi is best for weight loss. Dietary fiber content is more when compared to other grains.
  • Ragi is good for bones, Calcium content helps in development or maintenance of bones.
  • Ragi for Diabetics and for reducing high cholesterol level, Amino acids in ragi helps to bring down the cholesterol levels by eliminating excess fat.

Ragi recipes are easy to make and good for health. Here is the way to prepare Ragi Semiya Upma.

Ragi Semiya (Finger Millet)
Ragi Semiya (Finger Millet)

Ingredients:

1. Ragi vermicelli – 150 gms
  2. Big Onion – 1
  3. Green Chilies – 2 to 3 (as per your spicy level)
  4. Carrot – 1 medium sized (grated)
  5. Green Peas – required level (optional)
  6. Cashews – 4 to 5 nos.
  7. Oil – 2 to 3 tbps.
  8. Mustard seeds and urad dal
  9. Curry and Coriander leaves.
  10. Salt

Process:

Take a bowl of plain water and add ragi vermicelli into it. After two mins, filter out the ragi in separate container. Either steam the Ragi in cooker for 5 mins or oven it for 3 mins. Once it becomes soft, keep separately.

dsc01135

In a wide pan, add oil, mustard seeds, urad dal and cashew nuts. Saute for a min.

dsc01083

Once it is sauteed well. Add sliced onion and saute on the medium flame.

dsc01084

Once the onion gets cooked, add salt as per the taste level, green chilies, grated carrot, green peas, curry leaves and fry all together.

dsc01085

After 2 mins, add steamed vermicelli into that and mix well. After 5 mins, add coriander leaves and turn off the burner.

Ragi Semiya (Finger Millet)
Ragi Semiya (Finger Millet)

Yummy and healthy Ragi semiya is ready to serve.

Happy Cooking 🙂

13 Comments Add yours

1. chefkreso says:

I’d love to try this dish, looks really interesting and tasty 😀

Liked by 1 person

1. Malini says:

Glad you liked it. Please do try it out.

Liked by 1 person

2. That recipe sounds interesting. I shall definitely try this out if I can lay my hands on ragi vermicelli.

Liked by 1 person

1. Malini says:

Glad you liked it. Please try out and let me know 😊

1. I shall. But first I have to head to the India store here to check if they even stock ragi vermicelli 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Malini says:

I hope u ll find it 😊

Liked by 1 person

3. PriyaPandian says:

I make the sweet version of this ragi semiya often which my husband likes. Healthy and filling breakfast 🙂 Nice share Malini.

Liked by 1 person

1. Malini says:

That’s nice priya. I also like sweet version. 😊

Liked by 1 person

4. I like these but no one eats this in our house. So making this has become difficult.
    Meena

Liked by 1 person

1. Malini says:

That’s unfortunate. I love this recipe. I make it often. Try to make sometimes since it is healthy. 😊

Liked by 1 person

Leave your thoughts. :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s