Coriander (Cilantro) Rice Recipe – Rice and Pulao Varieties
‘Coriander’ is also known as ‘Cilantro’, ‘Dhaniya’ (in Hindi), ‘Kothamalli’ (in Tamil). It is actually a herb plant, We use the leaves of this plant for culinary purpose in different ways. It’s rich in Vitamin A, C and K. There are lots of health benefits of Coriander leaves, some of the benefits are,
- Good for Diabetes patients, since it can lower the cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Good for Digestive System, anti-oxidants promotes liver functions.
- Helps to increase sleep and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Best Detoxifier, it removes toxic chemicals in our body. Those toxic chemicals can enter our body through various ways like air, water or food.
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties and helps to reduce arthritis.
- Contains less Calorie, fat free and good for health and skin.
One way of taking Coriander leaves with our food is by making coriander rice. It’s quite popular in India. It has a strong flavor and the color of the rice is very attractive. It can be made quickly in a pressure cooker by adding all ingredients together. It’s a quick recipe for lunch box.
Check out the ingredients and process with step by step picture.
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Basmati rice/ Sona masoori Rice – 1 cup (soaked for 20 mins)
- Green Chillis – 2 to 3 (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (chopped)
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves (chopped)
- Cumin and fennel seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Coconut – 2 tbsps (Grated)
- Potato – 1 medium sized (peeled, chopped)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – required level.
- Ghee and Oil – 2 tbsps
- Cashew – 5 to 6 (broken pieces)
- Bay leaf – 1 small size
- Cardamoms – 2
- Onion – 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp.
Soak the rice in water for at least 20 mins.Get the ingredients ready.
Now put all the ingredients (coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chilli, coconut, cumin and fennel seeds) shown above in mixer jar. Add a little bit of water, grind it and make a paste.
Once this is ready, Keep the pressure cooker on the stove, add oil and ghee, once it gets heated, add mustard seeds, bay leaf, cardamoms and cashews. Fry well, until the color of the cashews changes to golden brown color and starts leaving aroma.
Now add onion into this and fry well.
Once the color of onion changes into dark color, add the paste into that mixture.
Stir well, add turmeric powder into that mixture. Leave it for 1 to 2 mins and occasionally stir well. Once the water evaporates, add potato into that mixture and mix well.
Once everything blends well, add rinsed rice and salt into that.
Mix everything properly, Now add 2 cups of water and close the pressure cooker, leave it for 2 to 3 whistles and turn off the burner. Leave the pressure cooker for 5 mins to get the pressure settle.
Now open the cooker and mix the rice gently.
The aromatic and colorful rice is ready to serve. It tastes better with raita (beetroot raita).
Happy Cooking 🙂
Categories: Rice and Pulao Varieties