Ragi is also known as Finger millet. It’s one of the important cereals in India, Karnataka is the largest producer of ragi in India. There are lot of goodness in ragi, its low in fat and easy to digest. It’s a great source of iron, calcium, protein and other minerals.
Ragi is best for weight loss. Dietary fiber content is more when compared to other grains.
Ragi is good for bones, Calcium content helps in development or maintenance of bones.
Ragi for Diabetics and for reducing high cholesterol level, Amino acids in ragi helps to bring down the cholesterol levels by eliminating excess fat.
Ragi recipes are easy to make and good for health.
Ragi Semiya Kheer
- Ragi vermicelli – 1 cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Ghee – 3 tablespoons.
- Cashews and Almonds – 6 to 7 nos.
- Cardamom powder
- Sugar – as per taste level.
- In Pan, Add ghee and roast the ragi vermicelli for 1 to 2 mins.
- Now add boiled milk to the ragi and stir in medium flame. Once it’s starts getting soft add sugar into that.
- Do not overcook, once the sugar dissolves completely and comes to a semi solid stage, turn off the burner.
- Fry the nuts separately with ghee.
- Finally add the cardamom powder and garnish with nuts.
Ragi Semiya Upma
- Ragi vermicelli – 150 gms
- Big Onion – 1
- Green Chillis – 2 to 3 (as per your spicy level)
- Cashews – 4 to 5 nos.
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbps.
- Mustard seeds and urad dhal
- Curry and Coriander leaves.
- Take a bowl of plain water and add ragi vermicelli into it. After two mins, filter out the ragi in separate container.
- Either steam the Ragi in cooker for 5 mins or oven it for 3 mins. Once it becomes soft, keep separately.
- In Pan, add oil, mustard seeds, urad dhal and cashew nuts. Once it is fried. Add sliced onion and stir on medium flame.
- Once the onion gets cooked add salt as per the taste level, green chillis, curry leaves and fry all together.
- After 2 mins, add steamed vermicelli into that and mix well.
- After 5 mins, add coriander leaves and turn of the burner.
Tasty and healthy Ragi Semiya is ready.